Friday, November 11, 2011

Fall Happens - Spring Takes Faith

They can build breasts.

Not functional, feed a baby type breasts. But cleavage and bra filling breasts. I'm 50, and my hat is off to any 50 year old "functional, feed a baby type" breasts, but I don't need those. I certainly didnt want the "orange in the tube sock" type breast. (You can pretend like you don't know what I mean by that but you've seen them, we have all seen them.)

For me, I just like the symetry. You know there is an amazing engineering feat in a pair of breasts. When you remove one and wear a shirt even with a prosthetic the natural breast has a ebb and flow to it's "boyency" that the prosthetic can not duplicate so after a day of that asymetry, you can end up with a pocket up by your ear. Thats the rub. I used a prosthetic breast for four years before opting for reconstruction in 2005. I was told I was too fat to have the breast built from my abdomen and I would need to lose 100lbs before I would qualify for that surgery which included a tummy tuck. So they used flesh from my back instead. After four years I forgot about the drains and the pain of surgery. After six weeks that included drains an infection, and all the joys that taking pain meds and antibiotics reek upon your bowels. Finally I was symetrical, sort of. Yes they were relatively the same size but my original had a different drift. So I wore a bra a bit too tight to conceal this flaw.

The bra fit securely on the natural breast side, but would slip up into the divot left on my back where the new breast had once been. Not exactly symetrical.

And I can't close without mentioning that my nerves were all confused and I could touch my new breast in front and feel it on my back. Not exactly a party trick but I did think it was kinda cool that the mole that was once on my back was now on my front but when I touched it it still felt as if it were on my back.

So I will talk more about the second time around in the future, My surgery is coming up in December. The Dr is slightly obsessed with symetry so I am hoping he does his best work.

No comments: